Error
  • Error loading feed data

Armenian General Benevolent Union (AGBU)

Limassol Avenue
Nicosia, 2112    Map
22-426605

Images

AGBU first opened its chapter in Nicosia in 1913, with no particular club house until 1957 (opposite the old Sourp Asdvadzadzin church in the Turkish-occupied part of Nicosia). Having lost its premises in 1963, when the entire Armenian quarter of Nicosia was taken over by Turkish-Cypriot extremists, AGBU Nicosia - after being housed in rented premises - moved into its newly-built premises in 1990, to the south of Melkonian Educational Institute. It is the oldest Armenian club in existence in Nicosia, and it used to be well-known for its various social, cultural and sporting activities. Between 1998-2003, members of the AGBU published the "Paros" Armenian newspaper. Since 2005, due to the closure of the Melkonian by the AGBU Central Board, its social and cultural activities have been limited. Since 1999, AGBU Nicosia has the mighty "AGBU Ararat" futsal team, which has represented Cyprus 6 times in UEFA games.

Related Photos and Videos from the Web

AGBU and its Programs

Photos courtesy of . Videos courtesy of .


Comments and Discussion